Whispered In The Wind

Whispered In The Wind
Just a fairy blowing in the wind, singing tales to the west wind

Monday, June 20, 2011

SpinFlower

 Poems are a warm cup of tea for the soul
-Poetry time! Here is a true story I wrote down,in poetry form.This is the story of my kindred spirit,Dorothy who is in her 80's. She has the best stories. She told me this one over orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream. She says that is the best combination,anyways-

I grew up in Arkansas
We were as poor as mice
My daddy promised me a horse
He promised me a piano
But we were lucky to have food on the table
When our shoes wore out he would cut the leather out
and place cardboard in our little shoes
My feet would freeze when I walked to school
my heart crack when the kids teased me
I wanted to wear princess dresses
but my mom could barely patch together rags
every year we went to the city
to a crusty man on a corner with an ugly brown pickup
I hated that truck
The trunk was filled with old dusty clothing and ragged shoes
He would look at me and my siblings and pick up things
He would motion to my mom when he thought he find something to fit us
and then throw it into our arms
I despised that he wouldn't even look into my eyes
he just threw my clothing like I  had no say
because I didn't
But one day he picked up a pink dress
the skirt was covered in chiffon petals
light as air
the sleeves were pink and petaled
it was a fairy dress
and it was all mine
the most beautiful dress I had ever seen
and when I wore it I would spin around the lawn
watching the petals swirl around my little frame
The world a blur I would twirl and twirl
I was convinced if I twirled hard enough
for long enough
I would become a flower
I twirled till I felt I would puke
till I collapsed on the ground
We had  a seesaw
and my brother would spin around it
as fast as he could
and I would watch my dress dancing around me
see if my legs had become a stem
but I never became a flower
and finally the dress outgrew me
it pulled against the chest
was ragged at the bottom and frayed
I grew up
I had children and a husband
but I never forgot the dress
and in my dreams I would still see myself in the twirling pink dress
I woke up every three years or so from a dream
where I was little again, spinning, waiting to be a flower
Life passed
Children grew
my husband passed away
and I would spend nights on a swing swaying back and forth
under the full moon
thinking
But one night I had the dream again
I was covered in the pink dress
little
spinning to be a flower
and I woke up
Woke up at 2:47 am
and sighed in bed
But somewhere deep inside me
I heard a voice
felt a voice
in the depths of my heart
He said
"Dorothy, you don't have to spin anymore.
You are already a flower in my garden."


No comments:

Post a Comment

"I want warm summer nights, to lie in a hammock, staring at the stars, telling you stories. "

"I want warm summer nights, to lie in a hammock, staring at the stars, telling you stories. "
"When asked not to make waves, I just smiled and said, don't worry this is just a ripple"